Friday, April 10, 2015

Adding foldable shelves?

By definition, space is limited in any RV (mind you some of them are nicer than my own home!) and it stands to reason that everything needs to be optimized. While most manufacturers usually do a great job for most things, some things are left for us to do, us modder's, MacGiver's, DIY'ers, you know who you are!!

Our travel trailer has a huge queen size bed that extends out at the back of the trailer, revealing the dinette and couch area. Thinking of optimizing things, I have been toying with the ideas of putting up shelves up there high on the wall, where things could be stored temporarily when camping, allowing for the shelves to put folded back up close to the wall to allow the slide to safely come in.

That is one mod I have yet to since I am not decided yet on the final design.

My main concerns/challenges:

1. Shelves have to be securely attached to the trailer's walls, and we all know how thick and robust these are; could Velcro be used? Should many anchoring points be used to distribute the weight?

2. Material to use: wood, plastic, composite? Should I go for flexibility and easiness of working with wood, or go with lighter but less flexible materials like plastic, composite or even aluminum?

3. Support method: should the shelves be supported by a wire, so from the top, allowing them to be folded back up against the wall, or supported from the bottom, with a wooden support that could slide in place when needed?

4. Size and overhang: based on supporting method and material, how deep can I go for without risking structural damage to the walls should they fall?

5. Anchoring methods: how best to attach the whole thing? Screws into the wall, or into some sort of anchoring system for thin walls? Or find support behind the wall and screw in a long piece of wood to use as support and anchoring platform?

See how much fun there is in coming up with your own design and solution to best fit your needs?

Feel free to chime in in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Jean-Francois! Just stumbled across your blog. It seems we have much in common. I just purchased a 2015 X213 this past weekend for our family of 5. Our TV is also an F150. I will be following your mods closely and no doubt using some of your ideas. Thank you! Have you decided on the best approach for mounting anything to the walls? Finding the studs would ideal but even then, hitting an electrical wire is always a risk.

    Serge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Serge! Glad to hear you just bought a new trailer for you and the family! Years of fun and excitement to come, for sure. Do not hesitate to ask about any of the mods that I have done for further details. Let me know if you think of something else that could be done as well, that I haven't done yet, as I am always looking for something to improve. As for the shelves, I have yet to put them up but have bought some wood to try and come up with a design that might work. Given the walls are thin but insulated with Styrofoam, I suspect wires are only running down in corners so I would probably be safe there. I will update my section on led with pictures and details of what I have done. The lights I added to the cabinet beside the fridge, and to the slide out are the ones I am enjoying the most. I also added a strip around and behind the molding of the slide out, with a dimmer, which allows for a nice and indirect lighting effect at night, which is pretty handy with a bunch of kids sleeping close by.

      Keep me posted!

      Delete